What’s new at Tailwarden: February 2023
See what's new in Tailwarden and Komiser this month and what we're gradually rolling out.
Welcome everyone to the February edition of "What's new at Tailwarden." Join us as we go over our updates, community highlights, and everything related to Tailwarden. In this edition, you'll learn about all the new feature launches for this month.
Komiser is a cloud-agnostic platform, and this month, we have expanded our offerings thanks to the support of our community and contributors who have added new providers:
- Azure customers can now use Komiser to optimize their cloud usage and costs, while users with workloads across Azure and other cloud providers can benefit from Komiser's ability to integrate and provide a unified view of cloud costs and resources.
- Komiser now integrates with Scaleway, providing users with an even more comprehensive cloud management experience. With this integration, users can track their Scaleway resources, uncover hidden costs, and make sure no resources go unnoticed.
Moreover, Komiser now supports new cloud services of existing cloud providers such as:
- Kubernetes: PersistentVolumes, Ingress, and ServiceAccount Objects and Deployments.
- Civo: Load Balancers, Object Stores, Databases, and Disk Images.
- Linode: LKE clusters, Node balancers, and Firewalls.
- OCI: BlockVolumes, Functions, Applications, Buckets, Policies, and Database.
Furthermore, we have enhanced the workflow for managing custom views and shipped new features such as duplicate and search capabilities:
Additionally, we have introduced the Komiser Dashboard, which provides a unified view of your cloud environments. The dashboard includes:
- Top Stats widgets display information about connected cloud accounts, the regions where resources are located, the total number of resources, and the total cost of your infrastructure.
- The Cloud Map widget provides a geographical view of your resource distribution across regions. This allows you to visually identify any idle resources.
- The Resource Manager widget enables you to filter resources by cloud accounts, providers, services, and regions, and visualize them easily in a pie chart.
- A Cost Explorer widget to visualize, analyze, and compare the costs breakdown on a monthly or daily basis.
We also shipped tons of other bug fixes and performance tuning. See the full changelog.
Over the upcoming weeks, our focus will be on:
- Delivering Slack alerts and weekly reporting.
- Expanding our support to include GCP, MongoDB Atlas, and OpenCost, as we aim to cater to a wider range of cloud providers and platforms.
Community news & updates:
This month, we have achieved a couple of significant milestones. Firstly, we now have over +250 members on Discord and have received 3100 stars on GitHub.
I was invited to the Cloud Native Podcast and Uptime Podcast, where I showcased how Komiser can be used for cost optimization and how engineers can utilize Komiser's asset inventory feature to uncover insights about their cloud infrastructure.
In addition, we hosted our 6th Tailwarden Community Call, which has become a monthly tradition for us. It was a great opportunity to share our milestones and challenges from the past weeks with our community.
In case you missed it, re-watch it here:
Komiser has rapidly grown in popularity this month, and we have received a significant amount of support from contributors who have helped shape this month's releases. Kudos to our community heroes of the month, Michael, Fotis, Mahendra, Shivam, Erik, Anurag, Mark, Anjorin, Jazim, and Philip, for their valuable contributions to Komiser.
To take part and potentially become the next Community Hero of the month, consider contributing to our project, either by providing feedback, be it through GitHub, through the #feedback channel on our Discord server, or by testing existing and new features. Feel free to check out our contributor guidelines.
As an open-core company and the developers of an open-source project, we understand the value and importance of the open-source community. The contributions made by open-source developers and maintainers play a significant role in shaping the future of DevOps and we recognize the hard work and dedication that goes into it.
To show our appreciation and support for the open-source community, we’re sponsoring the favorite open-source maintainer or project of our contributors. This not only rewards the individuals who have contributed to Komiser but also gives back to the open-source community.
Check out our latest blog posts:
This month was packed, we've published new content and updates:
- Scaleway resources all in one place with Komiser: Unleash the power of Komiser and gain total control over your Scaleway resources! With just a few clicks ensure you never get caught off-guard by unexpected costs.
- Azure management with Komiser just became easier: Take your Azure resource management to the next level! Use Komiser to discover, track, and optimize your resources with customizable views and filtering options.
- Drift management in cloud infrastructure: Learn how to use Komiser to identify any deviations in your managed resources, as well as to detect any unmanaged resources within your cloud environments.
- DigitalOcean resources managed with Komiser? Easy!: Discover your Digital Ocean resources with ease using Komiser. View, sort, and filter to eliminate the risk of unexpected costs by tracking resources effectively.
- How to practice FinOps with Komiser: Practicing FinOps is an essential part of cloud computing, and Komiser provides a range of features to help organizations optimize their cloud spend.
- Manage Kubernetes objects all in one place with Komiser: Don't let managing your Kubernetes resources become a hassle - let Komiser simplify the process! With its intuitive interface and powerful sorting and filters.
- Why we made Komiser open source: By opening up the project to the open-source community, we can tackle the complexity of supporting a vast array of services and cloud providers.
- Discover your Civo resources and uncover costs with Komiser: Tired of the headache of keeping track of your Civo resources? Use Komiser to view, sort, and filter your resources, ensuring you stay on top of your costs.
We've welcomed two talented wardens to our team. Pola Verhague Lörz has joined us as our Talent & People lead and will help us grow our team. In addition, Enes Kaya has joined us as our Sr. Software Engineer and will be working on introducing new features to our open-source product and cloud version.
We're still hiring a Software Engineer to join a fully distributed team of 9 based in France, Germany, and Portugal. We're looking to hire great people who are based in EU or equivalent timezones - Join us.
And that’s all we have for the February edition. Thanks for reading through. For even more detailed announcements, be sure to check out the release notes and join us on Discord to stay up to date on our more frequent updates.